Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tombstone

A few weeks ago we ventured south and found ourselves in Tombstone Arizona.  Besides Hollywood's interpretation of Tombstone (which I still knew little about) I really had not immersed myself in Tombstone history or Doc Holliday's life. To be honest I was quite surprised that the shootout that actually happened there was really not all that remarkable.  But they have done a great job preserving the history and making you feel like you are maybe a little bit back in the old days.  The old town is dirt streets and little saloon looking western shops. We picked up some cowboy hats and some pistols for the boys and that made them believe that they were cowboys.  Porter walked around saying "Howdy Parner" and "stick 'm up".  True cowboys!

I toured the Bird Cage Theater (the price was steep so I went in to see what all the fuss was about) which was a house for less than distinguished ladies and their man friends. That was really the happening place back then but quite shameful.

To beat the heat we stepped back in time and had ourselves some sarsaparilla (root beer) and were surrounded by woman in revealing corsets (classy place). Preston was having a moment, so he was not enjoying his sarsaparilla, but the rest of us played around with our mustache straw and enjoyed the old time drink.

We also watched a reenactment of the OK Corral Shootout between Doc Holliday and the Earp Brothers against those darn cowboys (some McLaury boys and some other hooligan)

Our last little stop was at the Boothill Graveyard - named that because most people buried there were killed/buried with their boots on.  Meaning they were shot.  Most of the graves were destroyed over time so the townspeople researched all they could and tried to set it up the way it once was.











Inside the bird cage theatre

















































1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Looks like a fun place! I love Porter's squinty eye while pointing his gun!