Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Our Summer

I knew going into this summer that it was going to be one with a little less excitement but nonetheless very busy.

I had signed Preston up for Summer School, tutoring 2 times a week, and put both boys in session after session of daily swim lessons.

This sounds horrifying I am sure to all those thrill seekers out there. To be honest it would not be my first choice for an action packed summer, but it had to be.
I had 2 goals for each boy this summer.  One was to get both boys swimming to the point where they could be comfortable in the water (mostly getting Preston out of the 3 year long level 1 class) and to have one boy reading everyday and the other learn the alphabet and each letter sounds.  It was ambitious and quite the lofty set of goals but these boys rocked it! We had our battles- I won't pretend that those didn't take place. Preston didn't really want to read until he counted up his stars on his chart and realized he was almost to his goal and then he was coming to me with books and really made things a little easier that last week. Swim lessons was the same but when they would get their report card at the end of each session they were both so proud of all the check marks they would receive. And yes, Preston is now in level 2 almost in level 3! I was so proud of his accomplishments in swimming. He has practiced and really made amazing improvement.
Porter is almost done with his chart. He can count to 17 by himself and knows almost every letter and all the sounds they make. He is a sponge with anything, the trick is getting him motivated. He doesn't take to bribery like most kids. But he has his eyes on a chuggington train set that has helped keep things moving at a slightly faster pace.





We spent most of our free time hanging out at Miss Jenn's pool. Preston and Porter could and would play with their cousins for hours in the pool. If we were not swimming at my sisters pool Porter would always insist to go to the pool with the big blue bucket. It is his absolute favorite place. The pool has a play structure that includes this big blue bucket that dumps several gallons of water. Porter carefully situated himself right where the water dumps with max force. I find it incredible that he is able to keep himself up when all that water dumps.  Over and over again he could play there all day. 



Besides all the swimming and crazy learning stuff that took place, I liked spending a big portion of the summers making all kinds of Popsicles. Trying to keep them stocked in the freezer proved a difficult task.  I also tried to get back into the baking world trying out new bread recipes and even English muffins.  It's too hot in the summer to be outside unless you are swimming, so cooking and baking are good time fillers. And let's not forget chia seed pudding. In an attempt to eat healthier and cram all that supposed good stuff into my body and having a friend who's husband works for a health food manufacturer that gives me all that crazy stuff I have been experimenting with chia seed pudding and putting flax seed in just about everything.







for the 4th of July we played and Aunt Jenn's house.  My parents are now living here waiting for their house to be built so they get the plus of having water fights with papa. And my sister, Lisa, and her kids came down for the holiday.  Porter really really liked sparklers.  So much in fact that we had to cut him off.  He gets a little to happy with a lighted stick in his hand.











In an attempt to find things to do that are inside my neighbor and I thought it was wise to take our little kids to the skating rink.  One mama, and 2 unstable kids equals one exhausting, yet hilarious day at the skating rink.  Porter pretty much just walked/ ran around the rink the whole time with his little walker thing.  I was laughing so hard I about lost my own balance.  Preston was more cautious and lot more unstable. His feet were too big for the super beginner so I went with the real skates.  He was a slippery mess.  I could not keep him up for more than 30 seconds.  He kept trying but insisted later that he wear what porter had.  He was positive that without shoes those skates would fit, and he claimed it didnt' hurt his feet.  So, around and around he went until he wanted the other skates back because his feet were hurting him.  They still had a blast even with all the skate switching.











Preston is really concentrating hard on not falling in the picture.  and I am holding onto him with quite a grip!






No comments: